Plant Heritage is registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner of the United Kingdom.
This privacy statement applies when Plant Heritage receives, holds or otherwise uses Personal Data and explains how we look after your personal information and what we do with it. Plant Heritage is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. Please be assured that we will never sell your data.
Changing your preferences for communication
At any time, you can change how you hear from us, including by post, telephone or unsubscribe from electronic communications – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01483 447540 to let us know.
Why do we collect personal information?
You may give us your personal information in order to join as a member, make a donation, participate in an event, or to receive our e-newsletter. The personal information we collect might include your name, address, email address, telephone number, year of birth, payment card or bank details. We collect this information only in connection with specific activities, such as providing membership benefits, processing your membership, donation processing, or sending regular information about our work, our events, opportunities and conservation news. We will only share your information with trusted suppliers to carry out these transactions.
How do we use your personal information?
- To fulfil your membership application
- To process membership subscriptions, donations or other payments
- To set up or alter your Direct Debit Instruction via BACS if applicable
- To confirm details of your Gift Aid status, if applicable
- To post you our publications The Journal and The Directory or local group publications
- To send you our national quarterly e-newsletters or local group e-newsletters about our work and local activities
- To invite you to take part in a raffle or a fundraising event, or to purchase cards and books
- To inform you how you can support Plant Heritage through a legacy
- For in-house research and analysis to ensure our communications are as relevant as possible
- In order to process the mailing of the Journal and Directory we use a trusted mailing company who keep your data secure.
Privacy and use of our Website
Consent and keeping your information up to date
By disclosing your personal information to us as part of becoming a member of Plant Heritage you give your consent to the collection, storage, processing and use of your personal information by us as described in this privacy statement.
As a Plant Heritage supporter, you have control over the accuracy of your personal information. If, at any time, you wish to verify, update or amend the personal information you have provided, you can contact us at the above email and telephone number or at the address below.
Individuals can find out if Plant Heritage holds any personal information about them by making a ‘Subject Access Request’. If Plant Heritage does hold information about you, we will:
- give you a description of the information held
- tell you why we are holding the information
- tell you who the information could be disclosed to
- give you a copy of the information.
To make a subject access request please send a letter or email (headed ‘Subject Access Request’) to:
The Data Protection Officer
12 Home Farm
Plant Heritage will respond in writing within 1 month of receiving the request.
Retention of personal data
Plant Heritage will keep you data only for as long as is necessary to meet the requirements of financial record keeping or for the purposes of historical research.
Right to be forgotten
Notwithstanding the requirements to retain personal data as outlined above, you have the right to request deletion of your personal data. To make a subject access request please send a letter or email (headed ‘Request to be Forgotten’) to the address above.
Your personal data is held securely at the national office and by local membership secretaries. Our website uses industry standard Secure Server Software (SSL) for your transactions with us. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet. Data held by local group membership secretaries is held in password protected files.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
By giving your Personal Data to Plant Heritage, you agree to accept our privacy statement as amended from time-to-time. You will be deemed to have accepted any amendments to the statement if you continue to provide personal information to Plant Heritage after a new version of the statement is published.
We recognise the importance of privacy to our supporters and visitors will keep this statement under review and any changes made from time to time will be posted on this website.