Fundraising – Digital marketing, events, and supporter fundraising
About Plant Heritage
Plant Heritage is the leading cultivated plant conservation charity in the UK. It was established 45 years ago with the aim to conserve the diversity of garden plants. The charity set up the National Plant Collections® scheme, with 700 collections currently registered, supported by Persephone, an online plant recording system. Our Threatened Plants Research Programme identifies plants at risk and our Plant Guardian scheme encourages individuals to conserve single plants in their home or garden.
Most of our conservation work is undertaken by volunteers, but there are 8 paid staff (the majority are part time) who oversee the conservation work and manage the charity’s membership.
This is an exciting new role (full or part time) that will support our ambition to grow support through both membership and supporter engagement. This role will help raise the profile of the charity through planned communications and contribute to fundraising success whilst supporting the charity’s aims and objectives.
Working closely with the Business Manager you will work on new donor cultivation, both individual and business, and also explore sponsorship opportunities. This will involve the effective delivery of virtual and in person marketing and fundraising events, all geared towards achieving greater visibility and fundraising success. Responsibilities will include work on websites, online marketing, social networks, plus membership and corporate engagement.
This is an exciting time to join Plant Heritage as we explore new ways of reaching audiences and members sharing a passion for all things conservation. Aiming for a period of high impact, we are looking at new initiatives and growing the voice of our charity and our important role within the conservations of plants in the UK.
We are looking for someone to work full time, part time (4 days is possible, or to job share (splitting digital engagement and donor cultivation/event fundraising).
We are looking for someone who embraces our values and is committed to the importance of our work in plant conservation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the development and implementation of social media and marketing strategies that will increase the reach and impact of the charity’s work and deliver a step change increase in income from these activities
- Generate awareness of the charity and its work, and drive traffic to digital activities through online marketing and communications
- Work with existing team to create membership marketing to grow income, devising digital strategies to attract new membership audiences
- Create digital content for our website, social media outlets and marketing materials
- Develop and optimise digital and social media outputs, including images, video, and audio to reach wide- ranging target audiences from supporters to attracting new membership
Donor cultivation and events
- Manage relationships with current donors, and identify and approach new donors, including corporate supporters to ensure the delivery of agreed fundraising targets.
- Create events to raise funds/donations and to reach new members and supporters
- Develop and cultivate the Friends of Plant Heritage and Corporate memberships
- Create campaigns developing tailored communications to raise funds as required, using digital platforms.
- Support the development of a new legacy giving campaign.
- Contribute to effective external communications
- Assist with compiling and organising publication of promotional and marketing materials
- Work towards accessibility in all content across a range of devices
- Raise visibility and enhance Plant Heritage’s status as having a positive impact on conservation
- Assist with the planning, organising and promotion of Plant Heritage events and provide support for external conferences and events as required
- Demonstrate the behaviours always required of a communications professional
- Contribute to the overall success of the charity in accordance with Plant Heritage’s aims and objectives
The above list of job duties is not exhaustive; the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrable experience of working within marketing and digital communications
- Demonstrable creative approach to developing, implementing, and evaluating digital marketing activities
- Proven experience of improving social media engagement and growing follower numbers for an organisation
- Proven experience in running successful digital marketing campaigns while achieving set KPIs
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Brand identity development
- Proven experience of successfully supporting fundraising activities including supporter conversion, engagement, and retention
- Ability to analyse and interpret data from Google Analytics and social media platforms
- Ability to summarise complex information in lively and compelling ways for different channels and audiences
- Experience of cultivating new donor relationships and making asks in a variety of ways (writing, email, face- to-face, digitally) to secure relationships and income
- Ability to set up digital campaigns, working with the Plant Heritage team
- Experience of creating and setting up events for fundraising whilst highlighting our work in plant conservation
- Ability to work with a wide range of people, and in a team
- Experience of working within the charity sector, and with volunteers
- Production or coordination of production of audio and video content
- Knowledge of legacy donations
- Use of CRM systems and automated marketing platforms
- Online publishing using a content management systems
- Excellent writing and editing skills, ability to write compelling copy for a wide range of channels
- Management of a range of social media channels
- Excellent computer skills, particularly MS Office applications
- Evaluation and analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills / ability to communicate with diverse groups
- Ability to deal with deadlines and conflicting priorities
- Ability to prioritise and work on your own initiative whilst respecting boundaries
- Work in collaboration and with respect of others, both inside and outside of the charity
- Tact and diplomacy when dealing with sensitive / complex issues
- Flexibility to occasionally work unsocial/different hours, by prior arrangement
- The post holder may be required to undertake some travel by prior arrangement
- The post will be based in newly refurbished offices near RHS Wisley gardens in Surrey, GU23 6QD Some hybrid working considered.
Terms and Conditions:
Contract: This could be either a 37.5 hour a week position, or we can consider part time (min
Salary: £24,000 - £27,000 (FTE) depending on experience
Pension/benefits: A 5% employer contributory pension is provided after 6 months.
Office Hours: Core office time is 9am to 4.30pm. Flexible working is possible.
Holidays: 31 working days (full time) including bank holidays per annum, pro rata, to include discretionary days between Christmas and New Year when office remains closed.
Notice period: One month in writing either way.
Location: The job is based at the Central Office in newly refurbished offices near RHS Wisley in Surrey. Some hybrid working considered.
Plant Heritage is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to supporting its staff with all necessary training opportunities.
Please send a CV and covering letter to Gill Groombridge at email@example.com - please telephone 01483 447540 to discuss informally.
Closing date for applications: 9am Monday 13 November 2023
If a suitable candidate applies, we may interview and appoint earlier.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent
Salary: £24,000.00-£27,000.00 per year