This rhizomatous begonia is an artificial hybrid (Begonia coraliniifolia × manicata). It was created in 1853 by German horticulturalist Dr Eduard von Regel, then head of Zürich Botanical Garden. It was first published in the magazine Gartenflora in 1855.
Its leaves are large, ovate and olive-green with red veins. Undersides of leaves are red-bronze. The plant is covered with short pinkish hairs. Flowers arise from large cymes and are rose pink merging to white at the margins.